Monday, July 16, 2012

The Art of Shopping for a New Dog

A good roommate is like a priceless piece of art, especially the four-legged kind. A few weeks ago I adopted a new dog, Peetey, who is quickly settling into his role as best friend. The search for Peetey started the day school was over. I found that adopting a new dog can be harder than buying a car. At least autos have car-fax reports.

I began my search online. Websites like petfinder.com help to provide a launching pad for pet searches. You can hunt by breed, location, age, and gender. I quickly learned that there are more available dogs out there than Americans on unemployment. Rescue groups post profiles about the dogs. You can see photos and videos as well as find out if the dogs are housebroken, spade/neutered, and good with kids or mailmen. From there you can check out the rescue group’s website and find even more available dogs. It’s heartbreaking how many homeless dogs there are. However, these groups would rather part with the crown jewels than one of their precious pooches.

Off the bat, I found a dog of the pug/beagle variety like the late, great Starbuck, my previous dog who passed on in January. First, I had to fill out an application that was more extensive than my last job interview. They wanted to know where the dog will live, how long it will be alone, and what will happen to it if he/she outlives me. At least they didn’t ask what will happen to it in the event of rapture (aftertherapturepetcare.com). Then someone had to examine my house to make sure my yard was secure and that Michael Vick wasn’t hiding in a closet. I failed the inspection to my surprise. The latch on my gate was sub-par. The boards on my fence were suspect. My yard would be too hot in the summer and because I don’t have a doggie door into the house, a pug might either overheat or spontaneously combust. Even though Starbuck never escaped or died from heat stroke it was obvious that these people weren’t going to give me a dog.

The next option was going to the SPCA where the adoption fees are much less but with them comes the saying “you get what you pay for”. I spent a Saturday afternoon at an adoption event in Long Beach. I could have come away with 12 dogs. They’re basically giving them away. There’s no lengthy application or home inspection. You spend a few minutes with the dog of choice and that’s it. If you wish, you can adopt right there. I kind of liked one dog, but there was no guarantee that he was house-trained or well-adjusted. I passed on the SPCA.

So, it was back to the rescue groups. I visited one in Marina Del Rey where I met Peetey. Each dog at this site came with a sponsor/volunteer who was responsible for boarding the dog during the week and for monitoring its behavior. Peetey’s sponsors were a neat couple named Barb and Lonnie. We walked Peetey together while they unobtrusively got to know me. They felt that Peetey was a great dog for me. I was comfortable enough putting in an application. But I had to wait to see if I was good enough for the rescue group.

Soon thereafter I began emailing with a lady named Susan who helps run the rescue group. Without knowing me or knowing much about Peetey, she raised concerns that he wasn’t housebroken and that I needed to hire a dog-walker while I am at work. I said that wasn’t necessary because I am home every day after school with plenty of time to walk a dog. I was beginning to think that these rescue groups want a doggie Shangri-La; a large yard in Palos Verdes with two retired owners who cater to their pet’s every need. I think they forget one crucial element – they are dogs! They need care and attention, but they are also hearty creatures. They don’t have to live in paradise. Give them food, water, shelter, exercise, and love and they’re abundantly happy!

Meanwhile, Lonnie cyber-stalked me and found this blog site, which reconfirmed in his mind that I was a more-than suitable owner for Peetey. Thankfully, Lonnie, and not Susan, got to make the final decision. Peetey’s a really good boy. He’s very different from Starbuck, but he’s a lot of fun and has a sweet personality.

All dog owners wish they could know what their pet is thinking. Author Garth Stein has done this beautifully in the brilliant and touching book, “The Art of Racing in the Rain.” In the book, Enzo the dog is owned by a race-car driver named Denny. He and Denny love to watch racing together on TV. They have a wonderful relationship and Enzo supports Denny during a very rough time of life.

Starbuck was very Enzo-like in my life. Peetey has some big paws to fill. At home, he seems to enjoy his new slice of paradise and I’m thankful to have a pastime viewing partner. He loves the Angels, despises the Yankees, and agrees on the need for instant replay. I am thrilled for this new chapter in my life, which I am calling: the Art of Baseball Watching in (Shangri)-LA.

1 comment:

  1. I've down-graded myself to occasional-cyber-stalker.

    I'm very pleased that Pete has found someone with enough tenacity, fortitude and intelligence to find and care for him. Pete has the heart of a lion and the charm of a diplomat. I sense an epic journey is afoot!

    Thanks for being such a good guy,

    http://www.facebook.com/lonny.lozar

    ReplyDelete