Thursday, August 4, 2011

You say SEP-EL-VAY-DAH, I say SEH-PUL-VE-DUH

When I transplanted to Los Angeles from Michigan in 1988, my biggest challenge, aside from dealing with the freeway system, was deciphering the streets and city names that are in Spanish.

Back in Detroit, I had very little association with anything Spanish or even Mexican. My high school offered language courses of French and German. The Tigers had a couple of relief pitchers named Lopez and Hernandez. Mexican food was limited to a placed called Chi-Chi’s. There weren’t even any Taco Bells. Running to the border meant crossing the Ambassador Bridge to Canada.

But, with my feet standing on soil once controlled by Spain, I was faced with names like Sepulveda, Redondo, Hermosa, and Palos Verdes. Was Sepulveda, Sep-el-vay-dah or Seh-pul-ve-duh? I probably pronounced it improperly for many a year. Some places with Spanish names sound so much more romantic or exotic than their English counterparts. Palos Verdes is an enticing locale filled with equestrian trails and ocean-side mansions. However, “Green Sticks” sounds as if it should be in the backwoods of Kentucky.

Another name I love is my former town of La Habra. It was once called Rancho Canada de la Habra, which translates to A Pass through the Hills. I’m glad it was shortened. Also the only guy who should have “Pass through the Hills” on his return address stickers is Hugh Hefner. Another favorite is the sweet-sounding name of El Segundo. That is until I learned that it simply means, the Second and was thusly named because the Standard Oil Company placed its second oil refinery there in the early 1900s. I guess Hugh Hefner has spent a lot of time at Segundo base.

Other cool Spanish-named towns include La Mirada (the view), Los Alamitos (the little cottonwoods), and Cerritos (the little hills). The Spanish people got pretty creative with some of their names. Noting the curvature of the Santa Monica bay, they named one of the beaches, Redondo (round). Round Beach doesn’t just have the same pizzazz. Redondo’s neighbor to the north, Hermosa Beach, is a little redundantly named. Hermosa means beautiful. Hello? Are there any ugly beaches in California?

Some cities in the Los Angeles area use a combination of English and Spanish words. This is done to make the town sound much more attractive because adding any Spanish word to an English word automatically improves things. For example, there is Buena Park, Hacienda Heights, and Agoura Hills. Now if you were choosing a new town would you select Good Park or Buena Park? I think any Spanish word conjoined to an English word would make a lovely city name. How about, Siesta Springs or Tostada Trails?

As a fourth-grade teacher, I’ve had the pleasure of covering California history with my students. I’ve enjoyed teaching about the explorers, soldiers, padres, and politicians for whom many places around the Golden State are named. The other day I went to the Dominguez Ranch House, a local museum, to learn about its namesake because so many places around where I live are named Dominguez something or other.

The original Dominguez to come ashore in New Spain was a soldier traveling with explorer Gaspar de Portola named Juan Jose. Back then it was as easy to get land as it is handouts at a soup kitchen. Just ask for it. In 1784, J.J. Dominguez asked King Carlos III for some land and he wound up with basically the lower half of what is now the LA basin. A segundo soldier named Jose Dolores Sepulveda picked up most of the land north of Dominguez’s property. And a third soldier named Manuel Nieto was given a ton of land as well, which is now most of Orange County. Senior Nieto certainly got short-changed in the naming rights department because the only thing I know named Nieto is a side street in Long Beach.

Next month will mark the 23rd anniversary of my migration west. In those years the LA area has become increasingly more ethnic. Spanish is still the predominate second language. Most stores and restaurants have a lot of Spanish words everywhere. And of course, I love the rich history that living in California affords. One of my favorite historical figures is the missionary Father Junipero Serra who traveled up and down the coast building missions. I just wish I could pronounce his first name. You say You-nip-er-o, and I’ll say, Yoo-neh-pear-o.

No comments:

Post a Comment